As we were getting ready, I am glad that I didn’t take my zipper breaking on my dress as a sign of things to come for the Geelong Business Excellence Awards (GBEA)! After an unexpected outfit change, we were at the Pier Geelong rubbing shoulders with 600 of Geelong’s finest business-people. We were so stoked that we secured wine sponsorship of the evening and everyone was enjoying our range of wines (guests enjoyed our 6Ft6 Prosecco, 6Ft6 Pinot Gris, Austins & Co. Chardonnay, Austins & Co. Pinot Noir and Austins & Co. Shiraz).
This is Daryl- and his blue velvet jacket… award for best dressed would definitely go to him!
After networking for a few hours (and by networking I mean rubbing Daryl Reader’s blue velvet jacket, drinking wine and eating the delicious food) we had discovered we were finalists for two awards. We discovered that we were finalists for two categories, 2nd generation business and Regional business of the year. We were up against some stiff competition, Harcourts North Geelong took out the 2nd generation business and surprisingly we took out the Regional Business of the year category!
Scott and I were both stoked… and surprised, as you can see here:
Scott gave a beautiful speech which I recorded…. you can view it on our Facebook page
We were then whisked away for a photo op…
The plan for an early night was quickly thrown out the window as we celebrated upstairs at CQ bar with dancing and cocktails, it truly was a brilliant evening.
Now only one person was allowed to give a speech, anyone that has met me would know I love a chat so I would like to give my speech now….
“Thank you for the Geelong Business Excellence awards for putting together such a great event and for the judges for giving their time to each and every business who entered. We were up against some stiff competition, so truly honoured to receive this award category. This award is for our team, a team we are really proud of and this award is for you, our Geelong community. We live in the greatest city in the world and we are so grateful for the support from each and every one of you.”
For a full wrap up of the events, you can view the INDY online here
Here is the list of the winners from the night:
- Health and Wellbeing – Unique Laser
- Micro Business (1-3 employees) – Martlette Graphic Design
- Emerging Business (under 3 years) – Legroom
- Advanced Manufacturing & Industry – Rending Construction
- Regional Business – Austins & Co.
- Small Business (4-19 employees) – Blush Bar
- Tourism & Hospitality – Golden Plains Farmers Market
- Medium Business – Supatramp
- Best First Year – Maree Pigdon Sewing Centre
- Customer service – Raw Edge
- Large Business (31+ employees_ – St John of God Hospital
- Sorporate social Responsibility – Geelong Mums
- Retail – Oishi-m
- Health Promoting Workplace – Corio Waste Management
- Family Business 2nd Generation – Harcourts North GEelong
- Accessible Business – Great Ocean Stays
- Innovation – Carbon Nexus
- Sustainable Business – Sage Choice
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year – Jake Munday
- Business Leader of the Year – Stephen Roberts CEO St john of god Hospital
- Business of the Year – Oishi-m