10 Things About Austin’s Wines- Makers of 6Ft6
Richard, Pamela and Richard enjoying a wine circa 2011
10 Facts about Austins Wines
- Pam & Richard started the business in Waurn Ponds in 1982
- Bought ‘Greenbanks’ Property in 1990 and planted 90 acres of vines from 1990 -1995
- In 2003 Scott joined the business and took ownership in 2007
- In 2003 We were producing 20,000 cases of wine and selling 1,000 – this is when the 6Ft6 brand was born.
- In 2015 we finally reached our goal to sell all 20,000 cases under our own brands (rather than cleanskins).
- In 2016 we moved from contract winemaking and took over the winery with esteemed winemaker John Durham.
- In 2017 our 6Ft6 Pinot Noir became the 5th highest selling Australian Pinot in Australia.
- Pam & Richard continue various roles in the business, Pam has retained many high profile restaurant accounts in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Noosa. Richard is on the board of the company and is continually improving the beautiful Greenbanks Property.
- The third generation of Austins Wines were born in 2013 and 2015, Spencer is now 4 and Delilah is 2 years old – they both have a wine named after them in the Austins range.
- We have held a 5 star status in the James Halliday Wine Companion for over 10 years (this means you have to have at least 1 gold medal quality wine in your submitted wines), a fact that we are so proud of.